Sunday, November 26, 2017

On Ringo Lake - Clue #1

Great news-- Quiltville's annual mystery quilt has kicked off and I'm joining the fun!  Clues are revealed every Friday (with the start always on Black Friday) and on January 1st, the layout is revealed.  This is my first time participating and I've caught the fever!  The title is 'On Ringo Lake'.

My fabric selection is still a bit in flux.  I'm going with cool and taupey greys for the neutrals.  I might use a constant brown instead of scrappy (we'll see!) and I'm not 100% certain about the orangey-corals.  I've mixed in a few pinks and goldy yellows and not sure if they will stay.  The inspirational photo is of a lake at sunset(sunrise?) with a fishing boat at the shore, so the range of warms should fit together.  A sunrise isn't just one shade- it's a spectrum.


Friday night was our monthly Late Night Sew Night at Blue Bar Quilts.  While I was there, I starched my fabrics, cut and did some piecing and then finished the blocks for clue #1 on Saturday.

My cute aqua/chocolate nine patches!


I can't wait for clue #2!

In other Late Night Sew Party News-- I bought 10+ yards of fabric to use as a background on my soon to be started "Kings Cross" quilt.  This is the Fons and Porter pattern that Mary Fons brought to her trunk show.  I forget the 'real' name, but my name is Kings Cross, because of the large crosses (duh) and that the pattern is king sized (did NOT realize that when I bought it!)

Here is the inspiration:

And here is my new BOLT of fabric!!! It's 'Pepper' by Pepper Cory.  I have no clue what I'm going to use for the accent fabrics.  Perhaps something rich, bold and saturated?  I love deep purples and burgundies.  Maybe creams for the stars?  We'll see!  I'm thinking this will be a great project for me to work on at my January Retreat.



xoxo,
Kristin

8 comments:

  1. I love Peppered Cottons. How fun to have a big bolt to play with. Thanks for sharing your pretty nine patches with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who buys bolts of fabric when she travels in the summer. She often has a shopping list for others! I look forward to seeing what you use with the background.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your neutrals are all white/grey! I think that looks so lovely against the aquas! I'm hoping to get my 9-patches finished tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some really nice colors picked for Ringo. The soft greys are a good balance. That cross quilt is gorgeous. I've never seen it. The bolt is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely fabric pull. I am looking forward to your progress on the QAL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your 9 patches are so sweet! Can you please remove the unit count? I have asked that we not share sizes and number of units through social media. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete