Sunday, February 25, 2018

Midnight Star - Top finished!

I started this quilt in late October, but had pulled the fabrics for it 10 months earlier! It was going together quickly, but I got stuck with some of the smaller stars. I wasn't thrilled with the fabrics and wanted to replace them.  While pondering replacements, the Quiltville Mystery started up and this project got put on the back burner.  I brought it to my January Retreat and with help from my friends, picked replacement fabrics and sewed all but 2 seams together.  I just needed about 1 more hour and I could have had the top done!  Oh well-- I brought it to Late Night Sew Night at Blue Bar Quilts this weekend and --TaDaaaa!  I have no idea how to quilt this or what to do with it when it is complete.  But for now, I'm just happy that the top is done.

Speaking of On Ringo Lake... One.More.Seam!!!!!  I cannot wait to also call this top complete.  It has consumed much of my winter sewing this year and I'm most definitely ready for a change of pace.

I've already got a start on my next quilt.  It is going to be simple and quick and rewarding! Friends are expecting their first child.  They don't know the gender and are decorating the baby room in grey and white.  I have a lot of black/white prints and oodles of greys.  It's time to make a quilt that I've wanted to do for aaaaages-- a plus quilt! I did a fabric pull, but didn't snap a picture.  Next time I will have something to share. Who knows... maybe the completed top??!?


Linking up with Judy's Design Wall MondaysLorna's Let's bee Sewcial and Cynthia's  Oh Scrap!!

Sunday, February 18, 2018

New Featherweight!

It was bound to happen sooner or later-- I added another Featherweight to my fleet of machines.

If you are wondering how many machines you need-- the answer is "one more"! 😊

I've been hoping to stumble across a machine for a good price.  There was one at an estate sale 2 years ago that was very tempting.  They were having a silent auction and I did not bid aggressively.  Oh well-- it wasn't meant to be.

Yesterday, the Mad Mod Guild was having a "De-stash Sale".  Basically a time for everyone to purge things from their collections that can be put to use by other fellow quilters.  I picked up a few things- fat quarters, patterns, tins.  Not too much (except for the machine!!!)

This machine, which is in pristine condition, belonged to the grandmother of a fellow member.  She inherited it, but really hasn't used it and was willing to part with it.  Her grandmother's name was Selma, so that is what I'm naming the machine!  It is from 1948 and has the original receipt and all kinds of other original things, including the motor lube (yikes!)!

I'm thinking that I might have one featherweight setup in my house to use and another one packed in a 'to go' bag.  I just placed an order with the Featherweight Shop for all kinds of goodies that will make her a joy to sew with.  Did you know they are making LED bulbs for Featherweights-- posh!

In Quiltville Mystery news... the end is in sight for this top! I've got the setting triangles started. I'm actually a bit further along than this, but don't have a current photo.  I would be thrilled if I can complete this top this week.


Sunday, February 11, 2018

On Ringo Lake -- almost there!

My On Ringo Lake quilt is chugging along like the little engine that could.  I'm determined to get this top together before I shift my focus to another project, because I (for sure) don't need another UFO!! But let me tell you-- this is a challenge for me! So.Many.Pieces!!!

I finished my blocks this week and put them up on the design wall for the first time.  That was exciting!

At this point, I was struggling to figure out the on point layout.  The math wasn't working out.  Well-- there is a good reason why!  I made 2 extra blocks on accident!  Oops!  Those will probably find their way to the back.

After getting the blocks arranged, I dove into the sashing.  Normally sashing is easy-peasy, not this one! =O  WOW-- I need to pay close attention.  Every other block, the units need to be flipped.  So far I've done a little ripping (not too much), but my brain is working hard!

I'm in the home stretch.  Just a few more sashing strips and then the setting triangles to go before the rows can go together. This quilt has become too big for my design wall! I need to sew some sections together to free up some space.   Wish me luck in getting this top finished.


Linking up with Oh Scrap, Design Wall Mondays, Let's be Sewcial and Bonnie's final On Ringo Lake linkup.