Sunday, July 1, 2018

2018 Lutherdale Gala Quilt

A few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to spend the weekend at Lutherdale assembling our 'Gala Quilt'.  This is a quilt to donate to their annual quilt auction in August and it is made from blocks sewn by all the people who donate quilts to the auction.  There is a "Thank You" Gala Luncheon in the spring where we hand out fabric and instructions and then people mail back the blocks to camp.

This year, we decided to buy fabric (in year's past, we asked for donations and made many scrappy quilts).  Our quilt was inspired from something on pinterest-- it's all solid half square triangles.  I was a tiny bit nervous about how we would translate these blocks into a quilt, but it turned out AMAZING! 


Here is the group photo with all of the people that helped assemble it.  Many hands make light work.  We had this done by midnight on the first night!!!!  What?  I know!  That left us with lots of time to make additional quilts!


I brought fabric to make this cute patriotic wall hanging.  That went together crazy fast, too!


We had quite a bit of unused fabric from the first quilt, and it was only Saturday morning, so back to pinterest for inspiration!  We came up with this design and assembled the entire top on Saturday.  Two quilts--> two days!!  Totally amazing!!


We were able to take a few hours on Saturday afternoon and enjoy the lake!  I made a donation to the new archery program and that qualified us to take a boat ride on the Lauderdale Lakes.  It was nice! They packed us a picnic lunch and we felt pampered.  After the ride, I tried my hand at archery for the first time since I was a camp kid myself.  I LOVED IT!


Here is a view of the camp from the lake.


Sunday, we all puttered around on our own projects.  Even though our projects were independent, most of them are destined for donation.  I put this goofy little thing together.  It's leftover cuts from someone's quilt several years ago.  The scraps were going to be thrown out and I couldn't let that happen.  I sewed the hunks into squares and trimmed them up.  Add a little sashing and cornerstones and voila! A baby quilt! This will be perfect for Project Linus.


This weekend was so much fun!  I can't wait for next year!

xoxo,
Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Wow, so much quilty goodness! The Gala quilt is gorgeous and I love your little PL piece made from cast offs. Great scrappy recovery into something lovely and useful :)

    ReplyDelete