Saturday, August 30, 2008
This week I finished enough blocks to make it 50 x 60 inches. I'm not sure if I'm going to put a border on it. I'll definitely add sashing to the 2 edges (top and right in this picture), so it looks balanced. I like the simplicity of the pattern without borders and it's definitely big enough, but I worry that it will be too stretchy with all of those seams on the sides. Maybe I'll do a narrow (1"-2") light pink? just to stabilize it.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
In addition to the crumb piecing, I made 2 more little girls.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Thursday I was at the American Family Children's Hospital to volunteer. A small group of us from Mad City Quilters sew with the children twice a month. This week was a little frantic. I was late and 2 women weren't able to come and a 4th had to leave early. The activity coordinators made it easy on us and only brought a few kids to the room. In this picture, Beth, Debbie and I wore red, white and blue on the Fourth of July and WE DIDN'T PLAN IT!
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Block #2 was a little trickier than #1. I chalk that up to the mitering. I toyed with putting the middle section on with the regular border method, but this is a good opportunity for me to push myself to do things I normally wouldn't. My mitering turned out ok, but there is room for improvement.
Other than that, the rest of it was easy. I'm using a new tool that I received from Quiltmaker Magazine. It's a Marti Michell triangle corner thingy and I think it made all the difference in the world. I used it on block #1, but I didn't get the hang of it until I was halfway through it. It's definitely something I will keep using.
I love, love, love the swirly orange that I used for the large star points. I've owned it for a few years and never felt like I had something that was worth cutting into.
Tomorrow I hope to shop for a few more smoky blacks. Those are hard to find and I know that I don't have enough yardage from my stash.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
The first block of the series went together quite well. Easy would be too understated, but it wasn't too difficult. After one or two cuts, I'm able to cut 1/16ths with confidence. The hardest part for me is committing to the placement of the colors. I deliberate forever!
The instructions for first block were posted on August 1st and a new block will be added every two weeks. One reason I got a late start, was picking my colors/fabrics. It was tough and I'm still not 100% set. The instructions call for 8 fabrics. Most everybody has posted nice layouts of their fabrics, with everything neatly folded and numbered. My approach is a little different:
More of a jumble! I knew that I wanted the multi-colored oval fabric to be featured and was drawing coordinating colored fabrics to go with it. Because I had a hard time picking 'just one' orange I'm going to do this semi-scrappy. I'll be using different medium oranges, blacks and golds throughout the blocks.
When all the blocks are done, I'll decide which colors are asking to be the featured color and will be used in the ribbon border and sashing.
Everything I picked is from my stash and I'm pushing myself with this, because I'm going to be using some fabrics that I've considered too nice to cut!