Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Lion Quilt

Now that fall is here, I'm able to find more time to sew.  I did some crafting over the summer, but didn't get to blogging it.  Hopefully I can do some catch up posts!

Last Saturday, I started a version of Violet Craft's Lion Quilt.  It's part of a Jungle Abstractions series.  I bought the pattern last winter and thought I might have lost my mind when I looked at it.  So I let the pattern age (like a fine wine!).  I thought maybe it would be a good project for my January retreat, when I have several uninterrupted days to work on it.  I started ordering fabric with the plan of holding off until January.  Well-- that didn't happen!!  I've become obsessed with working on this quilt!


The fabrics are all Moda Bella Solids and (if it's not obvious) it is paper pieced.  I love paper piecing and have done many projects using that technique.  This is different, because the scale is so much bigger than what I normally do.  And usually I'm using scraps, but that would be quite hard with this pattern!

Most quilts have a block repeated many times, which can be tedious and this one is so organic and different.  I think I'm motivated by wanting to see more and more!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This is going to be a beauty! I love your color selections. Two of my LQS have this pattern and have a quilt on display. I have resisted so far, mainly because I don't enjoy paper piecing. It is one gorgeous quilt. I love the elephant, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona!! Overall I don't think it's a very complicated pattern. But paper piecing is not for everyone and there are some complicated angles to deal with. I can't wait to find time to work on it again. This thing called work is really getting in the way! 😜

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I love this pattern. I can't decide if I will make the lion or the giraffe. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of your progress. Looks awesome so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lion looks great! I am still debating that pattern - by dad is a lion but he doesn't want a quilt - yeah I now strange - but I live in Germany and they are not common here - it is just such a great design :)

    ReplyDelete