Sunday, October 11, 2015

Block Tote...issues! =(

My fellow Mad Mod Member, Trina, asked for pattern testers for her new tote bag pattern.  The timing was right and I volunteered.  The concept is to use an orphan block as the decoration, but I don't really have any! Instead, I spent half of my Saturday morning looking through books and pinterest to get block inspiration.  There were a few things that looked appealing, but I ended up deciding on making a block from some leftover bonus half square triangles.  These are from 'Quietude'- a baby quilt a co-worker commissioned.


I did the math and thought the block would be 10.5" The pattern calls for a 12" block, so I would add some coping strips and call it good.  I did the math wrong!!  I think this error was a sign and I should have found other things to do.  Like clean my house!!  The block was well over 12"!!  Ay carumba!!!  


Back to the drawing board...  One thing that I found while looking for an interesting block was the nested churn dash.  It's super cool!!  So, I paid the $2 to buy the block pattern from Quilt Jane (why not let her do all the math?  Clearly I"m not having a day for that)


All afternoon, I felt worse and worse, but kept plugging away... Note to self- If you aren't feeling well and aren't thinking clearly--STOP.  Look at the yellow!!!  I didn't see the MASSIVE errors until this morning!!  I can't live with that, so I will make corrections (or start over?).  What did I do?  I think I was referencing the wrong measurements for the half square triangle?  or didn't trim it up?  What a mess.   This poor little block tote-- I haven't even started the tote part!! =(

6 comments:

  1. Some days are better than others! Good luck with making the tote, I'm sure it will be easier than making the block.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Some days are better than others! I'll call this a life lesson and keep in mind for the future.
      =)

      Delete
  2. I got out my magnifying glasses and finally found the minor error...

    Could you use it for a tote for yourself?

    Would it be possible to take off the outer squares on the first block and then add strips to make it the right size? Just thinking....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are too kind. I'll probably do a little ripping and swap the yellow part out. =)

      Delete
  3. Luckily the yellow blinded the error out of sight - great colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I might do another round of bold red and smoky charcoal! =)

      Delete