Monday, February 24, 2014

Goodnight Irene!!

I've seen this pattern before, but never knew it's name, Goodnight Irene!  I love it!  What fun!



















A few weeks ago, I had an a-ha moment and knew this was the pattern I would use with the leader/ender 4 patch brights I've been accumulating for ages.  Immediately, I started putting the 4 patches together into 16 patches. I had several yards of different solids in my stash. After a bit of auditioning, I selected a bright royal-y blue.

This weekend, I was able to start on the 'X' Blocks.  It took some experimenting with scraps to find out the X-blocks are made using the same size square as my 4 patch!  Did I mention I'm not using a pattern?  For some reason, I thought I would need to add 1/8 of an inch to the corner pieces (like when making 1/2 square triangles).  Nope!  This is a big win, because I bought a Go Baby! cutter specifically to make cutting 2" squares easier. 

This cutter is fantastic and it makes cutting up my scraps a breeze!  It's been a little while since I've cut my scraps into squares, so I spent some time making squares yesterday.  It's super fun!  I would never say that about cutting with a ruler!


Terry is doing a QAL for Goodnight Irene. I'm just a tad bit late to the party. Fashionably late!!

Also, I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday with Judy at Patchwork Times. I'm hoping to have many more X's for next week's link up.  

13 comments:

  1. I've only seen this with white Xs, but I think yours is beautiful with blues. I would like to do this quilt too, sometime, but for now I have to much on my plate. I'm scared of UFOs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embrace the UFO's!! =) Then you always have a project to work on according to your mood!
      ps
      thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  2. Love your blue Xs. Beautiful blocks. I am going to have to see what dies I have for my Go Cutter. I've got a lot of scraps to cut up. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a tumbler die that is great for stashbusting. I used it with a lot of greens I wasn't loving too much anymore. Now they are a wheelchair/lap quilt (minus the binding-- Argh!)

      Delete
  3. The bright blue with all the other brights seems just right. Goodnight Irene what a perfect way to use up odd scraps. I'll have to do some cutting for a leader ender project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I have enough for a substantial quilt. If not, I might substitute or just make a throw sized. I can't wait to work on it more!

      Delete
  4. Nothing wrong with being a bit late...We're just glad to have you sewing along with us! And your blocks look great! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the party!! There are so many cool quilts in progress by the people linking up!

      Delete
  5. I love the blue it really enhances your bright colors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being the source of my a-ha moment!! =)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt is so cute! I got an Accu-Quilt Go! for my birthday so I could cut up scraps into useable pieces. I absolutely love it! Glad you could make short work of those 2 inch squares!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blue x's look fantastic with your happy colours.

    ReplyDelete