Sunday, December 9, 2018

Norge

In August, I started a super secret sewing project-- a birthday present for my mother! I kept it under wraps on social media so I could keep this quilt a surprise.  It's a snuggly Norwegian Flag quilt that is very scrappy and has minkee on the back.  I got it **mostly** done for her birthday in early October.  The binding was machine sewn on, but still needed about half of the hand stitching to do.  I presented it to her and then promptly took it back!  

The pattern is very simple- lots of squares.  The cutting was tedious (why must I do everything scrappy??!!?), but it sewed up very quickly.



Normally, I quilt at my mom's house, but keeping this a surprise posed a bit of a problem.  Heather graciously let me use her longarm and I did a fun, swooshy panto.



I absolutely LOVE how this turned out.  And the minkee--swoooon.  It has lovely drape and begs to be pet.  And the way the colors sparkle is EXACTLY why I do everything scrappy!  I love it so much, that I'm making 2 more!! =O  One for me and one for my amazing friend, Bethney.  


I really need to have this finished up by Christmas, so I can officially gift it.  As they say, "this binding isn't going to stitch itself", so I need to get going!

xoxo,
Kristin

Linking up with Oh Scrap!, Let's Bee Sewcial, and to motivate me to hand stitch that binding-- Kathy at Slow Stitching Sunday (it doesn't get any slower that this!!)

8 comments:

  1. I love your design and quilting! That minky backing will make it extra cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fantastic! What a great gift! Enjoy the hand stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful birthday surprise for your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scraps give your flag sparkle! Beautifulquikt

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely scrappy quilt. Thanks so much for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift for your Mom!! I agree. Scrappy makes the colors sing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a neat quilt! Sounds perfect for your Mom. And I love how you describe the colors as "sparkly." Yes, that's exactly what scrappiness gives you! Congrats on a wonderful finish (I'm guessing it's finished completely by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. I love the texture created by your swooshy panto quilting. I am sure it is even prettier and softer in person. You mom is one lucky person.

    ReplyDelete