Sunday, April 29, 2018

Spring Cleaning!

I'm really excited to share my sewing space after my 'Spring Cleaning'!  On Friday, Mary from Sort n' Release came over and helped me get things in order. It was a bunch of work, but so rewarding! 

Here are the after pictures (if you want to see 'before', go here):

The project bins are in the closet (not on the floor), the tops of my fat quarter shelves are tidy!  My cart is so much more logical and I swapped out the quilt on the wall from CatVent to Elephant Parade.  The fabric on my ironing surface is part of my 'homework'.  Since this picture was taken, I've purged a bit from drawers and found a home for (most of) it.

The closet--- Aaaaahhhhh!!!  It is completely transformed! I could hardly step in it before and was just throwing things in and closing the door.  Now each space is assigned a job-- storing completed projects, holding project totes, etc.  I can't believe that it looks this good! But it is more than just looks, it is functional, too.


Here is the view of the design wall side.  I didn't manage to take any pictures of the cutting table and cubbies.  Trust me-- they are looking good!


Here's my pile of sell/donate:
It has a bunch of felt I haven't used for years, some things from cardmaking days, some fabric and notions and storage containers that I didn't 'love'.  Part of the process was-- If I don't like something, why keep it?

Before the big clean, I wanted to finish up my On Ringo Lake.  It needed just a few more inches on either side, so I did a simple border of bricks of the coral/orange/pink/yellow leftovers. The size is much better.


I hope to quilt this in 2 weeks, so I need to think about backing.  I've done a bit of looking and wasn't finding anything, so I placed an order for an assortment of yardage in the colors of the top.


On Friday night, I had my Late Night Sew Night at Blue Bar Quilts.  I would have been perfectly happy to collapse on the couch after such a busy day, but I couldn't.  Sew-cializing needed to happen! I grabbed my log cabin diamonds as a simple, small project to work on.  Now that I have a handful done, I can see how cool this is and I want to devote more time to them.  I'm not sure if I should switch to orange for the next ring?  It might give the quilt a bit more interest...


And lastly, part of my homework was to go through some of my tubs and thin the scrap herd.  They have multiplied into 3 small bins and I know that is not necessary. While sorting, I did a bit of Wild and Goosey with some of the scraps.  After the first few of these blocks, I wasn't too keen on them.  I've now switched to using only really light fabrics for the background and it is making the difference-- I like these better now.


And to finish this long post, I've got a cute picture of Finn to share. He kind of looks like a doll in a box! 

xoxo,
Kristin

Linking up with Judy's Design Wall MondaysLorna's Let's bee Sewcial and Cynthia's  Oh Scrap!!

11 comments:

  1. I love it! You will be even more productive now that everything is so organized. I promised my mom I am going to help her organize and rearrange her sewing room this summer. We are on the look out for a counter height piece to turn into an ironing board station with storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is just what I need to do...want to help!!!! Love your Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your studio looks wonderful! I love your log cabin diamonds, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A neat and clean studio is such a warm, fuzzy feeling. Or you can ask Finn :-) Love the bright colors in your ORL - gives it an added pizzaz. But I am in awe of the diamond log cabin. Paper pieced, I hope. No one can be that neat with strips that skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your studio organization is coming along nicely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Finn is so regal in there. Your studio looks fantastic! So tidy and organized, yet still chock full of creative inspiration. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, fantastic job! It'll be a pleasure to sew in your room now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have been busy... And productive! Good work! And that Finn is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at that awesome studio. Cleaning up is so necessary but not nearly as fun as the mess making. Good for you, and good purging. Your quilts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It always feels great to clean up your space and really get it organized, it looks fantastic. Congrats on getting On Ringo Lake finished! The backing fabrics are perfect. Your log cabin diamonds are awesome looking! I can not wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete