Thursday, December 28, 2017

Finish! Galaxy of Stars

Happy News-- Another finish! Galaxy of Stars!!  Wooot! ★✷✴✹✦


There was a little bit of drama with this quilt that happened while I was hand stitching the binding.  I had the quilt in a bag with a water bottle, but I didn't have the lid on tightly and some water spilled out and some of the red fabrics were bleeding onto the white!! =O 

The internet had all kinds of advice to give me! The photo above is prior to fixing the bleed. I went with the directions that Vicki Welsh shared and it worked like a charm!  Four cycles of super hot water in the laundry sink with gobs and gobs of Dawn dish detergent and the red has stopped bleeding and isn't on the white anymore!  I ended up using a tool for mixing drywall paste to agitate the quilt in the hot water.  It worked out great! It's like a giant potato masher.


The quilt is fully washed and dried and is all crinkly.  I usually gift my quilts without washing, so this is different-- I love it!   And so does Finn!  He has been a big fan of this quilt all along!


I will be donating this to the Lutherdale auction.  Hopefully it will fetch a good price.  And-- this was one of my goals for Finish-A-Long Q4.  Hooray!

xoxo,
Kristin

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts - Finish it up Friday

editing to add link to my original FAL goals post

6 comments:

  1. I would have been scared to toss it in hot water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too! But there was already damage, so why not give Vicki's method a try. Plus-- she was super scientific about her research, so I trusted her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you were able to get rid of the bleed. This quilt is so awesome! I know the women at the January Quilt Retreat at Lutherdale will be really pleased to see the finished product. Perhaps we should have some absentee bid ballots available. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad you found a solution to the bleeding fabric! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt. The wonkiness of the stars make them appear to be twinkling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt, so glad you were able to rescue the red bleed. On behalf of the 2017 FAL Hosts, thank you for participating in this quarter's Finish Along.

    ReplyDelete