Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Finish! Charity Chop Quilt


It's always happy news to report a finish!  Especially when it is a long time UFO.  This is a charity quilt (destined for a Dane County foster teen that is 'aging out' of the program).  Many years ago, while sifting through my stash for a project, I realized there were some fabrics I didn't care for anymore.  I had used them a lot and wasn't too excited about them any longer.  The solution I came up with-- make large (15"?) nine patches and then cut them up in the 'disappearing' fashion.  Well-- I made those 9 patches right away and then they aged for several years.

About 3 years ago, I took the blocks to my January retreat and did the 'chopping' and re-assembly.  The top languished in my closet until this year.  The Finish-A-Long has really helped motivate me to complete some UFO's.

I did a little photo shoot of the quilt last week with my new frame.  Overall it worked out ok, but I need to fill the sandbags they sent, because even though there wasn't much wind, the quilt acts like a big sail!  After several pictures, the frame blew over-- but I thought the draping looked pretty cool and artistic!


Here is a close up of the quilting.  I did a free motion all over pattern that was pretty fun: big loop--outlined then a halo of loops around the original. 


This is part of my Q4 Finish-A-Long and I'll be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts Finish it up Friday

xoxo,
Kristin

editing to add link to my original FAL goals post

3 comments:

  1. This is a great quilt! It's such a good feeling to finish up those long-languishing WIPs we all tend to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! on your finish. Especially sweet since it was a UFO and destined for a worthy cause!! Your quilt is different than other Disappearing 9-Patch quilts that I've seen. Off to see if I can find more like it... so that I can make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete