Sunday, August 5, 2018

Exciting news! Singer Rocketeer

Somehow a sweet little sewing machine followed me home and I decided to keep it. 😎

Meet my newest baby a Singer 500a - Rocketeer!


I have wanted one of these machines for years.  They are sleek and cool and have a built in zig zag stitch (along with many other decorative stitches).  I had never seen one in person, only in photos online.  In real life, she has not disappointed!  A guild member shared the ad for a local estate sale.  The sale was huge and included incredible collections of pottery, silver, LeCreuset cookware and full house of things being sold.  I met the daughter of the machine's owner and had a lovely talk with her.  Her mother was an avid seamstress and made clothes for decades.  She had multiple machines and the daughter kept the modern ones, but was selling this one.  She was happy to hear that it was going to a 'good home' and that I was planning to use it.

After the sale, I jumped right in and started to learn how to use it.  The bobbin is drop in (sweet!  I've never had one of those!) and the threading was pretty straightforward. Right away, it stitched a beautiful straight stitch.  I was dying to try a zig zag-- not bad!  Changing cams and using the dials was easy to do.  I don't think it does a true blanket stitch, though.  (slight bummer)

The same day I bought it, was my monthly Late Night Sew Night at Blue Bar Quilts.  I brought the new machine and a bunch of flannel and batting scraps and spent the night making burp cloths.  It was fun!!



I can't wait to use this machine more, but I don't think it will become my primary.  I love my Featherweight too much to replace it completely.  💗

xoxo,
Kristin

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm glad you're enjoying your new machine so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that those are really good machines. You were very lucky to have found one in good shape and stitching well too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! Have a fun time with your new baby!

    ReplyDelete